Guss Funeral Home Inc20 South Third Street
Mifflintown, PA 17059
|About Us||Our Staff||Current Obituaries||Types of Services||Pre-arrangment information||Local Links||Contact Us|
Guss Funeral Home was started in 1923 by Karl Bryan Guss in a garage in Mifflin. In 1932, he bought the house at 20 South Third Street in Mifflintown and converted it into what is still today in operation as Guss Funeral Home. His son, Karl Edward, after serving in the United States Army as a medical personnel, joined the firm in the late 1940’s. When Karl B. died in 1956, “Eddie,” as he was known locally, took over the business and ran it with his mother, Grace Heisey Guss. Keeping with the family tradition, Eddie’s oldest daughter, Barbara, earned a Bachelor's Degree in Administration from Elizabethtown College, her diploma in mortuary science from Simmons School of Mortuary Science in Syracuse, NY, received her funeral director’s license, and, in 1982, joined her father at the end of Third Street.
In three generations, we have witnessed the triumphs and tragedies of the world, both globally and in our own back yard. A lot has changed since 1932, and our business is no different. The funeral home has been enlarged to accommodate for the influx of people, renovations have been made to give friends and relatives the personal, caring touch that is required to assist in the transition of events—we ourselves grow and change with the community in which we live.